”чебник дл€ 6 класса
Let Us Read
20. Read this text written by a twelve-year-old girl and say why, in your opinion, she wrote such a story.
УCLEAN UP THE COUNTRYSIDEФ SOCIETY
(By Linda Black, age 12)
23. Vicki was coming home from her small country school and it was one of the last days of the term. The sun was in the sky and the birds were singing their beautiful songs. Vicki loved the countryside and she had lived there all her life. The weather was so nice that Vicki decided to take a longer way home, to the cottage where she lived. On her way she passed through a little grove1 where she used to play. Vicki was shocked to see that the grove looked terrible: it was piled with rubbish. Vicki ran all the way back home. She had to do something about this mess. Suddenly she had an idea. She would start her own УClean up the CountrysideФ Society.
When Vicki got home she phoned four of her school friends Ч Alice, Rosie, Cathy and Jane. They all agreed to meet her at the grove. The girls set to work filling big black plastic bags with rubbish. It was hard work but soon all the rubbish was cleared away and the grove looked beautiful again.
On the next day the society had another meeting. Vicki said, УToday we must watch for rubbish dumpers.Ф2 Everyone agreed and soon Rosie and Jane noticed some picnickers. The picnickers were finishing their picnic and they left all their rubbish on the ground. УWhat are you going to do with all that litter youТve left?Ф asked the girls. УI donТt know what you mean,Ф said a tall man with an American accent. УJust think,Ф said Vicki. УThink about those bits of glass that you have left from your bottles of juice, of all those cola cans and think about how ugly the place will look littered like that. It can also hurt wild animals.Ф УThe young lady is right,Ф said a woman with a little hat on. УWe just canТt leave this rubbish here.Ф УThatТs right,Ф said Vicki. УHere take this bag.Ф УThank you, girls,Ф they said, Уfor helping us understand that the country is a beautiful place and that we must not spoil it.Ф Then they all got into their American car and drove to the town. Vicki and her friends shouted, УThree cheers for our Society!3 Hip Hip Hoorah! Hip Hip Hoorah! Hip Hip Hoorah!Ф.
You can imagine how surprised the girls were when the next morning their Science teacher, Mr Bird, spoke to the class about ecology and the importance of keeping the environment clean. He said that pollution was getting worse and worse which could easily bring about a global disaster. The result of the environmental crisis was that in many parts of the world humans were beginning to suffer from shortages of food and clean water to survive. But Mr Bird said there was always hope. People had already learnt some important rules to protect the environment:
Dos and DonТts4
At the end of the lesson Mr Bird asked his class what each of them could personally do to help protect the environment. Vicki told the class what had happened in the grove the day before. The teacher and the students praised Vicki, Alice, Rosie, Cathy and Jane and decided to join their УClean up the CountrysideФ Society.
21. Answer the questions on the text.
22. Say 3 phrases on each of these items.
23. Describe the grove before the girls cleared away the mess and after it.
* * * * * Let Us Talk * * * * *
24. Tell VickiТs story (the one that she told her class) or Mr BirdТs story (the one that he heard from Vicki).
25. Make up and act out a dialogue between Vicki and one of the American picnickers.
26. Comment on one of the Dos and the DonТts from the text.
27. Imagine that you and your friends decided to start a УClean up Our CityФ Society. What will you do? WhatТs your plan?
28. What can you do to help the world? Do you think these words of advice can help? Which of them are most important? What will you add?
* * * * * Let Us Write * * * * *
29. Do ex. 5, ex. 17 in writing
30. Express the same in English.
31. Imagine that the Greenpeace1 organization asked you to design T-shirts telling people about ecological problems of the day. Work in small groups and design 3 T-shirts on big sheets of paper. Show your designs to the class. Choose the best three.
32. Nick is sick and in bed. He has broken his leg and has to stay in bed for a month. John wants to cheer him up. This is the postcard Nick got from his friend John. Try and understand what it is about and write your own Get-Well card to your friend who is ill.
33. Look at the words again and get ready to write a spelling quiz on them.
* * * * * Let us listen and Discuss * * * * *
34. a) Make sure you know these words:
choosy Ч разборчивый, капризный
b) Listen to the tape, (ЎЁ 24, and complete these sentences.
35. Tell the story on the part of Mr White and on the part of the man who was paid to do the job. You can use the task above as an outline.
36. Think of the moral of this story and discuss it with your class.